All material is original, created and copyright Mark Burkenbine 2013-2024

Monday, April 10, 2023

What's a Full Life?

I was thinking about what a full life would entail. A laugh. Smiles. Adventures. Love. Flavors. Scents. Wonder. Discovery. Knowing. Pain. A win. A Loss. Sorrow. Memories. Mistakes. Worry. Hope. Ambition. Wisdom. Death.

I thought I'd write something happy today

but it didn't sound like something I'd say

 I've lived and loved

been found and got lost

got things for free

that weren't worth the cost

Been stupid, been smart

between love and health

many ways to break a heart

I've met people I like

I've met people I liked 

that didn't like me

I've told more truth

than I've told lies

I've paid harsher dues 

for honesty

( I'm not one for wanting things

I know I don't deserve

Only thing this world owes me

is the painful death

I worked hard to earn)

Kids and grandkids

Wives and exes

friends and family

I rarely see

..............

.............. memories

Miscellaneous misadventures

Things in the road and car wrecks

wins and losses, homeless

and unpaid debts

Loved the good, and the bad

laughed more than  cried

Learned to roll with it

instead of sinking deeper

no matter how hard I tried

(I'm not one for wanting things

I know I don't deserve

Only things this world owes me

is the painful death

I worked hard to earn)

What's unique to me

is mine

Full life

beautiful mind

If a life is judged by experiences

my glass is full

except for one

Turn out the lights

It's been fun

Only one thing left to do

after a long last goodbye

...........................it's time

(I'm not one for wanting things

I know I don't deserve

Only thing the world owes me

Is the painful death

I worked hard to earn)

That's a Full Life.



No comments:

Post a Comment